EDI 943 Warehouse Stock Transfer Shipment Advice Transaction Specifications
1. What is an EDI 943 Warehouse stock transfer shipment advice?
An EDI 943 Warehouse Stock Transfer Shipment Advice is an electronic data interchange (EDI) document used by manufacturers and distributors in communication with third-party or remote warehouses. It’s mainly used to notify a warehouse when products are being sent to their location.
EDI 943 documents follow the x12 format set by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI), a not-for-profit organization that regulates EDI formats in the U.S.
2. What are the Essential Components of EDI 943?
EDI 943 documents need to contain several pieces of data regarding an incoming shipment. These can include, but are not limited to:
- Date of Shipment
- Estimated delivery date
- Manufacturer identification information
- Ship-from location address
- Receiving warehouse information and address
- Carrier identification and contact information
- Shipment information, such as product SKUs/UPCs, quantity, weight, etc.
3. EDI 943 Format
Common information in the EDI 943 transaction includes:
- Shipment date
- Manufacturer of goods
- Receiving warehouse ID and location
- Carrier information
- Order information including item numbers, total quantity, etc.
4. EDI 943 Key Data
- Order number
- Item(s) shipped
- Item(s) quantities
- Item(s) weight
- Shipment destination location
- Supplier information
- When the shipment was sent
- Shipper information
Once received, a destination official will inspect the shipment for accuracy and any damage. Once verified and accepted, the recipient will respond to the supplier with a 944 Warehouse Stock Transfer Receipt Advice.
5. How do I Use EDI 943?
When a manufacturer or distributor transfers stock to a remote warehouse or 3PL, they can use EDI 943 to alert the warehouse of the incoming shipment. This helps the warehouse to forecast and track inventory replenishment and prepare their docks for new shipments.
While an EDI 943 document seems similar to an EDI 856 Advanced Ship Notice, the EDI 856 transaction is sent to customers, such as retailers. In contrast, EDI 943 is only used for remote warehouses. Therefore, these two documents cannot replace one another.
6. Benefits of the EDI 943
By using EDI 943, suppliers can quickly and easily alert their warehouse partners to upcoming deliveries. Because the transaction can be fully automated, it helps provide warehouses with near-real-time shipments data, which is essential for dock scheduling, labor planning and other receiving processes. Additionally, the electronic nature of EDI 943 helps prevent data errors, which are important for shipment reconciliation.
Like other EDI documents, EDI 943 Warehouse Stock Transfer Advices are often protected by at-rest encryption, security protocols such as HTTPS and user authentications to protect your data. Using EDI software can also help create a virtual “paper” trail, which is useful in the case of any discrepancies from the receiving warehouse.
6.1 Benefits of using an EDI 943 Warehouse Stock Transfer Shipping Advice
Both the sender and the receiver benefit from implementing the EDI Warehouse Stock Transfer Shipping Advice. Many of these benefits are dependent on how automated and integrated the transaction is for both parties.
Some of the benefits of the EDI 943 include:
- Reduce the volume of paperwork and increase operating efficiencies through reduced time requirements to complete transactions by both parties
- Provide more accurate inventory information for the supplier or manufacturer
- Eliminate the need to send/receive warehouse shipping documents in several different formats such as email, fax or CSV
- Reduce administrative cost for the warehouse to manually process paper-based shipping documents
Key data elements in an EDI Warehouse Stock Transfer Shipping Advice (x12 943 Warehouse Stock Transfer Shipping Advice) document include:
- RItem information including item number, quantity, unit of measure, etc.
- Supplier or manufacturer information
- Carrier information
- Receiving warehouse identification and location
- Ship from location addressRDate of shipment