Order-To-Bill EDI for SAP: A New Same old
A common refrain at EDI Here is that EDI, as a standard, is anything but standard. After all, how could it be when every retailer in the world has different business rules, requirements and expectations of their suppliers?
EDI becomes even more non-standard when suppliers think about integrating and automating transactions into an ERP like SAP. Perhaps, for example, you need to validate item numbers and automatically append a PO number on inbound transactions. Perhaps you need to validate location IDs and that tracking numbers are present in outbound transactions.
Processes vary from organization to organization, which is why EDI for SAP is an end-to-end standard only to the extent that you make it yours. It’s also why EDI brought to market the tools and services needed to adapt to your specific processes: a feature set of our signature product Fulfillment that we call System Automation.
The following illustrates how EDI Here standardizes the order-to-invoice process for SAP with System Automation features. We’ll start with the 850 Purchase Order document and assume that Target, for example, has sent a purchase order for your newest widget.
From left to right, the process flows as follows:
- Target delivers an 850 document to the EDI Here Universal Network, which is then routed to the mailbox associated with your Vendor ID.
- EDI validates that the necessary data is present.
- EDI also validates, enriches, and transforms the data based on your SAP processes using configurable business rules.
- Errors are relayed back to the retailer and your organization where appropriate.
- Human workflow tools are set up to allow for errors to be corrected via a simple dashboard to keep transactions moving along (if desired).
- After all information is validated and enriched to your standard, EDI transforms the data to your specifications and generates an iDoc file.
- The iDoc file is delivered to you via tFRC, a remote agent that we install on-premise, or SFTP if preferred.
Now let’s expand this out to a larger Order-to-Invoice process to include the 855 PO Acknowledgement, 856 Advance Ship Notification and the 810 Invoice.
Though we have added outbound document flow, the processes will be designed, configured, and implemented similarly to the inbound 850, just in the other direction.
- You deliver an iDoc with the transaction data via tRFC, the on-premise agent or SFTP.
- EDI validates, transforms, and enriches outbound documents based on your specifications using configurable business rules. Instead of errors getting all the way to the retailer, they are stopped in their tracks and queued.
- Business users correct errors using human workflow tools (if desired), allowing non-technical staff to shepherd along transactions without involvement from IT.
- EDI transforms and converts the data to Target’s specifications and delivers the document on your behalf.
- The SAP Status Feedback Loop can be leveraged to report on the status of outbound documents, including current location and 997 progress.
Now, this is automation for just one retailer. Real scalability happens when EDI applies the business rules implemented for Target to your other retail trading partners. As your business rules library becomes more robust, rules can be toggled on and off by partner, making retailer changes easy to implement and onboarding new partners a simple point-and-click exercise – all of which we do for you as a full-service EDI provider.
When done right, the benefits of Fulfillment with System Automation features are many: reduced errors, faster error resolution, faster trading partner onboarding, reduced chargebacks and fees, and the ability to allocate IT resources to more important work, to name a few.
Together with our full-service approach where EDI experts drive the design and configuration process, along with ongoing resource access, there simply is no other outsourced EDI provider that can make the order-to-invoice process feel like an actual standard – your standard.
For more information and a demo of how EDI can standardize your end-to-end processes with EDI for SAP, please contact EDI today.